"STAND FIRM" Thomas Jefferson Art Print
Here we have the "Thomas Jefferson" version of "Stand Firm."
On January 30th, 1787, the venerated founding father, Thomas Jefferson, penning a letter to James Madison stated the following, "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" in Latin - Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
"... Societies exist under three forms (of governments) sufficiently distinguishable. 1. Without government, as among our Indians. 2. Under governments wherein the will of every one has a just influence, as is the case in England in a slight degree, and in our states in a great one. 3. Under governments of force: as is the case in all other monarchies and in most of the other republics. To have an idea of the curse of existence under these last, they must be seen. It is a government of wolves over sheep. It is a problem, not clear in my mind, that the 1st. condition is not the best. But I believe it to be inconsistent with any great degree of population. The second state has a great deal of good in it. The mass of mankind under that enjoys a precious degree of liberty and happiness. It has it's evils too: the principal of which is the turbulence to which it is subject. But weigh this against the oppressions of monarchy, and it becomes nothing. Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem (common day translation: "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Note: It has also been translated as "I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."). Even this evil is productive of good. It prevents the degeneracy of government, and nourishes a general attention to the public affairs. I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as a necessary in the political world as storms in the physical..."
SOURCE PROJECT: Jefferson Papers
TITLE : From Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 30 January 1787
AUTHOR: Thomas Jefferson
DATE: 30 January 1787
CITE AS: "from Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 30 January 1787," Founders Online, National Archives.
1. The 12" x 18" (IMAGE SIZE) (Print size with white border is 13" x 19") sized print is an "Open Edition" print set. An "Open Edition" print set means the print will be produced as long as the Studio decides to produce it.
2. The 18" x 27" (IMAGE SIZE) (Print size with white border is 19"x 28") sized print is an "Open Edition" print set. An "Open Edition" print set means the print will be produced as long as the Studio decides to produce it.
3. The 24" x 36" (IMAGE SIZE) (Print size with white border is 25"x 37") sized print set is a "Limited Edition" print set of only 76. This means only 76 prints will be made and come with a certificate of authenticity.
4. All prints are personally signed by Artist Tony Moreschi. Tony also personally numbers the Limited Edition prints.
5. The Light blue watermark visible on the web image IS NOT present on the prints being sold, it is only for web or print advertisement purposes only.
6. Prints are produced by using "giclee" high quality ink jet printing on heavy fine art ink jet quality paper. Our process of printing uses fade resistant, archival inks on archival photo paper and canvas. Our canvas prints are also coated with a spray varnish to add an additional layer of protection and give them a more original painterly look and feel.