"STAND FIRM" General George Washington Art Print
Here we have the "General George" version of "Stand Firm."
On July 2nd, 1776, our esteemed General of the Continental Army was headquartered in New York. General Washington issued his "General Orders" this day which included the following excerpt from which includes the quote on our print with Defiance.
"The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves; whether they are to have any property they can call their own; whether their Houses, and farms, are to be pillaged and destroyed, and they consigned to a State of Wretchedness from which no human efforts will probably deliver them. The fate of unborn Millions will now depend, under God, on the Courage and Conduct of this army- Our cruel and unrelenting Enemy leaves us no choice but a brave resistance, or the most abject submission; this is all we can expect- We have therefore to resolve to conquer or die: Our own Country's Honor, all call upon us for a vigorous and manly exertion, and if we now shamefully fail, we shall become infamous to the whole world- Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the aid of the supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate and encourage us to great and noble Actions- The Eyes of all our Countrymen are now upon us, and we shall have their blessings, and praises, if happily we are the instruments of saving them from Tyranny meditated against them. Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth."
SOURCE PROJECT: Washington Papers
TITLE: General Orders, 2 July 1776
AUTHOR: Washington, George
DATE: 2 July 1776
CITE AS: "General Orders, 2 July 1776," Founders Online, National Archives.
1. The 12" x 18" (IMAGE SIZE) (Print size with white border is 13" x 19") sized print is an "Open Edition" print set. An "Open Edition" print set means the print will be produced as long as the Studio decides to produce it.
2. The 18" x 27" (IMAGE SIZE) (Print size with white border is 19"x 28") sized print is an "Open Edition" print set. An "Open Edition" print set means the print will be produced as long as the Studio decides to produce it.
3. The 24" x 36" (IMAGE SIZE) (Print size with white border is 25"x 37") sized print set is a "Limited Edition" print set of only 76. This means only 76 prints will be made and come with a certificate of authenticity.
4. All prints are personally signed by Artist Tony Moreschi. Tony also personally numbers the Limited Edition prints.
5. The Light blue watermark visible on the web image IS NOT present on the prints being sold, it is only for web or print advertisement purposes only.
6. Prints are produced by using "giclee" high quality ink jet printing on heavy fine art ink jet quality paper. Our process of printing uses fade resistant, archival inks on archival photo paper and canvas. Our canvas prints are also coated with a spray varnish to add an additional layer of protection and give them a more original painterly look and feel.